With the Baby Showers One and Two out of the way, I was so excited to do a little shopping myself! As I have said previously, I didn’t want to make any purchases until post Baby Showers, because who knows what wonderful gifts Baby and I would receive? There wasn’t much of anything left that I NEEDED to buy, actually.
This week I bought:
This Graco 1-sec Ear Thermometer. How is it possible for a thermometer to be that fast? We currently have a digital thermometer that takes about 15 seconds to register a temperature and it feels like forever. I wasn’t sure that an infant would hold still long enough, so I was really excited to buy a new and improved thermometer.
Diapers are still on my list to take care of, however, thanks to generous gifts from friends and family, including a diaper party thrown for Husband we will have a cloth diaper service for our first 12 weeks as parents. Woohoo! I did however purchase wet wipes and a diaper bag, this week. I am looking into cloth wipes, yikes! However, I wanted to have wet wipes on hand as well. Here’s the bag I chose:
As cute as some diaper bags are, looking like a beautifully designed purse-bag, I wanted something Husband wouldn’t look silly carrying around (without it looking too plain of course). I was interested in the brand name version of this bag by Skip Hop, but I had a hard time paying twice the price just for the brand (the one I purchased was on sale at the time). I’d agree the brand bag does look a little nicer, so maybe I missed out? I did however, get a free travel wet/dry bag with the purchase of this bag, which I was very excited about.
I also purchased a nose bulb, as it seems like that’s a good thing to have on hand. Our Birth Class instructors recommended Nose Freida. They claimed it’s the most effective and cleanest way to remove snot from a child’s nose, however you have to suck the snot out with your mouth. As such, neither Husband and I were ready to make the leap for that…maybe later? I also bough a set of teethers this week, I particularly wanted something I could stick in the freezer like these. I mean, ice on the gums sounds really nice to me… if I were cutting teeth, that is.
With my mom’s help I headed over to Baby’s R Us and checked out car seats. They say you should have your car seat bought and installed by 36 weeks, so I was feeling a little bit behind schedule. After analyzing all our options, we found that you can get quite the deal when you purchase a car seat and stroller together as a set (they call it a travel system), so home I came with a stroller too!
Last, but not least! My favorite purchase this week was a set of drawer organizers for baby clothes. Baby clothes are so tiny, a huge drawer wasn’t going to cut it; I decided I needed something to break up the space. I am very pleased with my decision and am still working on other ways to organize the multitude of baby things we now have. These Sodynee drawer organizers come highly recommended.
- Disappearing Belly Button: So far it’s still an “innie” though.
- Burping: More in general, but especially after I lie down to sleep bubbles form in my throat for some reason.
- Insomnia: Sleeping is more difficult lately, either I can’t fall asleep, can’t sleep in, or wake up in the middle of the night. It’s a great joy when I can sleep a solid 9 hours like the good old days.
- Cracking Joints: All day, everyday.
- Panty Liners: How do I say this discretely? I use this almost everyday now so I don’t have to change my underwear more than once a day.
- Round Ligament Pain: Since seeing the Chiropractor these have gotten significantly less sore, yay!
- Easily Startled: Jumpy.
- Thick Hair: I have experienced less daily hair loss than normal.
- Forgetfulness: I often forget what I’m saying, while I’m saying it.
- Loss of Balance: I regularly reach out for something to catch my balance.
- Shortness of Breath: My lungs are getting squished by Baby.
- Swollen: At the end of the day my calves and feet are quite plump and sore. I feel quite lucky to only be experiencing this now, as many women have it sooner.
- Weight gain: Holding 50lbs extra weight since pre-pregnancy.
What were some things you have done or plan to do to help you prepare for labor and caring for a newborn?