Amazon Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase after clicking on one of the product links I’ll receive a small compensation. I only link to items I enjoy and genuinely want to share.
This week a friend threw me a delightful baby shower, three weeks after my family baby shower. Not only is this friend amazing at decorating (as you can see from the pictures), but she is a fabulous hostess too. After everyone came in and started eating brunch, the hostess asked each person to share with the group how they knew me. It was fun to hear what people had to say, with about half the group having met me through my husband. I am thankful for Husband’s friends welcoming me into their lives three and half years ago! There was a Mad Lib game-baby shower style that we laughed through together, followed by gift opening and a time of prayer for baby and me. I also really appreciated the “notes to baby” each guest wrote, and that the hostess had thank you card envelopes for each guest to write their address on–so helpful!
I remember early in our pregnancy when Husband and I sat down to budget for Baby and we felt so overwhelmed by the long list of things we needed to buy and how much it would cost us. Baby showers can be a great help for that. I am thankful for all the wonderful gifts I was showered with and feel quite prepared for a baby now!
I really like reading, so I plan to start Baby early. I am excited to have received three more books. My First Book of Prayers, which has sweet little prayers to pray with Baby; Pat the Bunny, a classic I hadn’t heard of but is absolutely adorable; and this Lamaze discovery book with really bright colors!
I received some fancy little outfits such as this tuxedo from H&M so that Baby can look like a miniature of Husband, because Husband loves to get dressed up fancy any chance he can get (check out a similar little outfit on Amazon). There was a package of socks that look like shoes, which the hostess claimed stayed on her baby’s feet better than most socks. They are made by a brand called “Baby Essentials,” and came in a box similar to this. I am excited to see how Baby likes them. I definitely plan to get more of these Luvable Friends velcro baby booties, as I have heard great things about them as well!
There were a great many other useful gifts as well that I am thankful to have received such as this My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow, that came highly recommended by my birth class instructor, as well as the hostess over the Boppy Nursing Pillow. They like it because it has a back support and a clip, so if you need to get up quickly you can do that without having to readjust everything. Don’t forget the receiving blankets! I got my first set at this shower actually. My mom and mother-in-law both say you need lots of these, so my mom is planning to make a few more for Baby. I received several credits for diapers and diaper service, which will be a huge blessing for the first few weeks of learning how to care for baby!
- Disappearing Belly Button: So far it’s still an “innie” though.
- Burping: More in general, but especially after I lie down to sleep bubbles form in my throat for some reason.
- Insomnia: A few nights this week my legs were itchy and it hindered the fall asleep process. Also, I can’t sleep in no matter how late I went to bed or how much sleep I need.
- Cracking Joints: All day, everyday.
- Panty Liners: How do I say this discretely? I use these almost everyday now so I don’t have to change my underwear more than once a day.
- Lower Back Pain: This has lessened. Especially after seeing the chiropractor.
- Round Ligament Pain: The chiropractor taught me where these are, in front, at the bottom of the belly. Since then, I noticed they are often sore, especially in the third trimester where my belly has gotten significantly larger.
- Easily Startled: Jumpy.
- Thick Hair: I have experienced less daily hair loss than normal.
- Forgetfulness: I often forget what I’m saying, while I’m saying it.
- Loss of Balance: I regularly reach out for something to catch my balance.
- Shortness of Breath: My lungs are getting squished by baby.
- Weight gain: 50lbs since pre-pregnancy.
Along with the baby shower, two friends with babies gave me tubs of baby items. They had extras or were done with certain items for now. The plan is to rotate baby items between us, because there are many things babies grow out of within several months. Another friend gave us their well loved baby changing table/dresser, which happened to be exactly what I wanted. I was searching craigslist for something similar, but hadn’t purchased anything yet. What a blessing to receive theirs for free! Now that the baby showers are over and most everyone who said they had something for me has given me their gift, I am excited that I can shop for any final things I need to prepare for Baby, yay! I’ll be making my list and heading off to the stores this week.
Good news! Our Christmas decorations, tree and all, came down this week thanks to my aunt! We gave her a date with Husband and I to lunch and looking at ice sculptures for her Christmas gift. How fitting that afterward she offered to take Christmas down for us, haha!
What are baby items you found really helpful to have, or can’t wait to buy?